ENVIRONMENTAL PROJECT ENGINEER/SCIENTIST
Who we are
NTH Consultants, Ltd. (NTH) has been providing professional engineering consulting services to the energy, community development, industry, transportation, and water markets since 1968. From a small, Detroit-based, geotechnical engineering firm, our company has grown into to a nationally recognized, full service infrastructure and environmental consulting firm, providing a wide range of services in civil design, geotechnical engineering, environmental engineering, and facilities engineering. Those who join our team will see first-hand the impact they have on the environment, public infrastructure, renewable energy, and community development efforts through exciting, high-profile, and challenging projects. Every day, our staff solves problems and overcomes challenges that make an immediate difference to our clients and the people they serve.
A day in the life of an Environmental Project Engineer at NTH
Execute project requirements including:
- Perform field investigations.
- Collect soil and/or water samples for laboratory analysis.
- Regulatory review and interpretation.
- Data analysis, evaluation, and graphics preparation.
- Prepare environmental permit applications for approval by regulatory agencies.
- Prepare written compliance plans, technical reports, letters, memos, and similar communications.
Assist in developing proposals for environmental services, including:
- Defining scope of services
- Preparing cost estimates, staffing plans, and project schedules
- Defining deliverables
- Preparing, delivering, and discussing proposal documents with clients
Coordinate subcontractor / subconsultant efforts and services.
Develop and present project specific or technical presentations to clients or technical organizations and in-house staff.
Communicate with clients and representatives of regulatory agencies to coordinate regulatory approvals.
What you need to apply
Bachelor of Science degree in Geology, Ecology, Biology, Environmental Engineering, Environmental Technology, Environmental Sciences/Planning, Natural Resources, or related degree, from a 4-year accredited college or university. Master’s degree preferred.
Professional registration for engineering or geology disciplines a plus.
- Certified Wetlands Scientist a plus.
- 5+ years of demonstrated experience.
- Specific experience with:
- Environmental Permitting and Compliance
- Clean Water Act (CWA) permitting and compliance (NPDES)
- Oil Spill Prevention & Preparedness Plans (SPCC & FRP)
- Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plans (SWPPP)
- Resource Conservation & Recovery Act (RCRA)
- Comprehensive Environmental Response & Liability Act (CERCLA)
- Soil and groundwater sampling techniques
- Soil and groundwater remediation techniques
- Statistical analysis and interpretation
- Risk assessment and remediation design
- Environmental consulting field
- Previous experience with a consulting firm preferred.
- Demonstrated technical writing proficiency (examples required).
- Client interaction and development support.
- Ability to organize technical material into comprehensive reports as well as perform QA/QC reviews on work product.
- Project planning, invoicing and collections, budgeting, task delegation and management to ensure project is completed according to work plans.
- Demonstrated ability to seek and establish new clients and build good business relationships with both new and current clients.
- Conduct periodic site / client visits, project, and business development meetings.
- Work with Business Development staff to develop new clients / business opportunities to the firm.
- Must hold a valid driver’s license, vehicle insurance, and be willing to travel to and conduct field activities at project sites as well as offices in Michigan or neighboring states.
- May be required to perform job duties in the field and office, during non-standard work hours, as necessary.
- Must be able to lift and carry equipment weighing up to 50 lbs.
What you will enjoy (the perks!)
- Become an employee owner with us: company contributions to a qualified retirement plan through the Employee Stock Ownership Plan.
- We believe in work life balance: Flexible and hybrid work schedules available.
- Generous PTO package and paid holidays.
- Participation in our total rewards program with competitive salaries, and low-cost health plans.
- Cafeteria plan options for health, dental, vision plans, and a 401K plan with a company match.
- Company paid employee assistance program for employees & families.
- Paid parental leave.
- Give back to the community through various volunteer events and fundraisers.
- Tuition reimbursement for our long-life learners.
- Professional development opportunities & paid professional memberships.
Why choose us?
In 2022, NTH has been named a Crain’s Cool Place to Work, a Detroit Free Press Top Workplace, and a National & Metro Detroit’s Best and Brightest Company.
As an employee-owned firm, we take our work seriously, but we know how to have fun. We promote a relaxed company culture that focuses on improving not only our staff members' professional life, but also their personal life. We regularly schedule company activities which support employee ownership, such as golf outings, off-site company holiday party, food trucks, book clubs, ESOP month Oktoberfest celebrations, and many more team building events. We also offer a robust engagement program that focuses on all aspects of wellness. Opportunities include regular challenges, educational presentations and health initiatives, impromptu activities such as group lunch walks, healthy snack days, after work bike outings, and more.
Authorized to work full-time in the U.S.A. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired are required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
AAP / EEO Statement
NTH Consultants, Ltd. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, among other things, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a protected veteran, or disability.
NTH Consultants, Ltd. participates in E-Verify.
Those that our interested can apply on our website at: Career Opportunities (nthconsultants.com).