Civil Design Project Engineer
Who we are:
NTH Consultants, Ltd. (NTH) has been providing professional engineering consulting services to the energy, community development, industry, transportation, and water markets since 1968. From a small, Detroit-based, geotechnical engineering firm, our company has grown into to a nationally recognized, full service infrastructure and environmental consulting firm, providing a wide range of services in civil design, geotechnical engineering, environmental engineering, and facilities engineering. Those who join our team will see first-hand the impact they have on the environment, public infrastructure, renewable energy, and community development efforts through exciting, high-profile, and challenging projects. Every day, our staff solves problems and overcomes challenges that make an immediate difference to our clients and the people they serve.
A day in the life of a Civil Design Project Engineer at NTH
- Develop and prepare work plans and proposals for engineering services related to site/civil consultation and design, including:
- Defining the scope of field investigations and design effort
- Preparing cost estimates and project schedules
- Preparing, delivering, and discussing design and bid documents with clients
- Managing project schedule and budget for various projects
- Prepare and review engineering analyses, reports, calculations, contract documents, designs, and specifications for site/civil projects
- Plan, organize, supervise, and conduct field evaluations and field inspection programs as necessary
- Assess feasibility and soundness of proposed site/civil features
- Develop design details and specify appropriate construction materials
- Coordinate construction quality control services, conduct periodic site visits, and review daily field reports prepared by others
- Conduct pre-proposal, pre-construction, and construction progress meetings, and prepare minutes of those meetings
- Develop and present project-specific or technical presentations to clients, technical organizations, and in-house staff
What you need to apply:
- Bachelor of Science degree in Civil Engineering or related degree, from a 4-year accredited college or university. Master’s Degree preferred, but not required.
- Professional Registration is required.
- 7+ years of demonstrated site development experience including site layout, grading, utility design, pavement design, permitting, budgeting, jurisdictional agency interaction, and other related project activities.
- Ability to supervise and manage a multi-disciplinary team as well as complete projects with minimal oversight.
- AutoCAD Civil 3D experience required, Infrastructure Suite or MicroStation experience a Plus.
- Hydrologic and Hydraulic Modeling software experience preferred, including proficient use with HEC-HMS, SWMM, Storm and Sanitary Analysis or others.
- Understand and read design drawings.
- Demonstrated leadership experience in mentoring, leading, managing, and developing junior staff.
- Ability to organize technical material into comprehensive drawings/specifications/reports and perform QA/QC reviews on work product.
- Project planning, budgeting, task delegation, and management to ensure project is completed according to work plans.
- Develop and maintain professional business relationships with targeted new clients.
- Assist in developing business strategies and action plans for creating growth opportunities.
- May be required to perform job duties in the field and office, during non-standard work hours, as necessary.
- Must be able to lift and carry equipment weighing up to 50 lbs.
- Must hold a valid driver’s license and be willing to travel to and conduct field work at job sites/offices in Michigan. Travel time could be up to 30% of the job.
What you will enjoy (the perks!)
- Become an employee owner with us: company contributions to a qualified retirement plan through the Employee Stock Ownership Plan.
- We believe in work life balance: Flexible and hybrid work schedules available.
- Generous PTO package and paid holidays.
- Participation in our total rewards program with competitive salaries, and low-cost health plans.
- Cafeteria plan options for health, dental, vision plans, and a 401K plan with a company match.
- Company paid employee assistance program for employees & families.
- Paid parental leave.
- Give back to the community through various volunteer events and fundraisers.
- Tuition reimbursement for our long-life learners.
- Professional development opportunities & paid professional memberships.
Why choose us?
In 2022, NTH has been named a Crain’s Cool Place to Work, a Detroit Free Press Top Workplace, and a National & Metro Detroit’s Best and Brightest Company.
As an employee-owned firm, we take our work seriously, but we know how to have fun. We promote a relaxed company culture that focuses on improving not only our staff members' professional life, but also their personal life. We regularly schedule company activities which support employee ownership, such as golf outings, off-site company holiday party, food trucks, book clubs, ESOP month Oktoberfest celebrations, and many more team building events. We also offer a robust engagement program that focuses on all aspects of wellness. Opportunities include regular challenges, educational presentations and health initiatives, impromptu activities such as group lunch walks, healthy snack days, after work bike outings, and more.
Authorized to work full-time in the U.S.A. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired are required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
AAP / EEO Statement
NTH Consultants, Ltd. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, among other things, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a protected veteran, or disability.
NTH Consultants, Ltd. participates in E-Verify.