Geologist – Mid Level (Grand Rapids)
Description of Company:
Barr Engineering Co. is an engineering consulting company that integrates engineering and environmental expertise to help clients develop, manage, and restore natural resources across the nation and the world. Today, we have over 750 staff across the U.S and Canada who work with clients in the mining, power, refining, and manufacturing industries and all levels of government. We have been employee owned since 1966 and trace our origins to the early 1900s.
Why Choose Barr?
At Barr Engineering Co., we strive to be the premier firm in our market. If you are looking for an employee-owned company that fosters a collaborative environment where you are surrounded by intelligent colleagues with an emphasis on client service, the ability to work on challenging projects, and a place where our employee’s safety is a top priority, Barr is the place for you. We offer both mentor and coaching programs that give our employees the ability to help further develop and grow their careers, along with the opportunity for volunteering and community involvement. We also offer our employees a highly competitive benefits package.
Barr Engineering is seeking a geologist to join its Grand Rapids office and undertake challenging and progressive work on projects related to the investigation, evaluation, and remediation of contaminated sites. Assignments may include working as an individual or as part of a project team to assist with any of the following tasks: preparing technical work plans, cost estimates and contracting for investigations of contaminated soil, sediment, groundwater, and vapor intrusion; interpreting data; and preparation of drilling logs, geologic maps, cross-sections, and technical reports.
Other responsibilities may include onsite investigations of contaminated soil, sediment, groundwater, surface water, and vapor; aquifer test performance and analysis; and construction observation. Onsite investigation tasks may involve observing drilling and monitoring well installation, classifying soil and bedrock samples, and collecting samples for field screening and laboratory analysis. Field work opportunities for this position may be year-round and will likely include some out-of-town travel.
- Bachelor’s degree in geology, hydrogeology or geological engineering
- 2-5 years of relevant work experience
- Minimum GPA of 3.0/4.0
- Strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills and the ability to communicate effectively with project team members, regulators, and clients
- Strong technical and problem solving skills
- Attention to detail, accuracy, and completeness
- Strong computer skills, including word processing and use of spreadsheets
- A flexible working style and the ability to work independently and with teams of specialists to meet client and project needs
- Willingness to travel and periodically adjust personal schedules to meet project needs (up to 15-30% travel and 30-50% field work expected; project needs will vary seasonally and over time)
- Legal authorization to work in the United States without the need for sponsorship
- Acceptable driving record
- Master’s degree in geology, hydrogeology or geological engineering
- Successful completion of a field or research course
- Coursework related to groundwater flow
- 40-hour Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response Standard (HAZWOPER) certification
- Familiarity with environmental regulations
Some work locations may feature rough terrain typical of construction sites and may also require entering and working within facilities that include limited accessibility, moving machinery, and other conditions typical of industrial facilities. Job assignments may involve work on waste disposal sites and sites requiring cleanup of hazardous materials. An OSHA mandated physical exam may be required. Safety training will be provided. Applicants may be asked to participate in a drug screening program at the request of specific clients.
To learn more about our careers and employment opportunities, please visit our website at www.barr.com/careers.